Bearing the initials of Ettore Bugatti and the name of Pierre Veyron who won 24 hours of the legendary Le Mans in the 1939 racing the original Bugatti racing car, BUGATTI VEYRON (Super Sport) is the fastest road legal car in the world. Volks-Wagon bought Bugatti in 1998 and came up with the idea of producing the fastest car in the world to break 250 mph or 400km/h barrier and add life to the company of Ettore Bugatti that produced outstanding cars from 1909 to 1947.What they came up with, has astonished the world…!
Powered by a massive 1001 HP, 8.0L W16 configuration (16 cylinders in W-configuration) engine complemented by 4 turbo-chargers with a ferocious top speed of 253 miles/h (407 km/h) and all this power is worthy of its price tag which is $1.7 million making it the most expensive production car.
Like its stats, nothing about this car is ordinary. For example:
- The tires are custom made (14 inches wide) especially to bear nearly 2 tonnes of load of this savage car and withstand the road torture at nearly 1/3rd the speed of sound.
- The brakes come from a company which makes brakes for jumbo jets.
- The car weighs 4160lbs, that is almost 2 tons, but still it sticks to the road at high speed and is jaw-droppingly brilliant in the turns.
- It runs faster than a plane taking off.
- Veyron has the fastest acceleration that takes it form 0-60mph in 2.6 sec, 100mph in 5.5 sec, 150mph in 9.8 sec and 185mph in less than 17 sec .It can hit 250mph of thundering speed in 42.3 sec.
- It has light-speed sensors for controlling the rear wing of the car which holds it to the ground and sets the wing’s angle in a billionth part of a second.
- Parts of its engine are made of Titanium which is the same material used to make engines of airplanes. Even the exhaust system’s parts are made of titanium.
- The brake disks are of high grade ceramic material which can withstand a temperature of 1800o F while normal car brakes give up at 1300o F.
- It needs a “speed-unlock key” which lowers the car to 3.5inches form the ground for taking it to a splendid speed of more than 250 miles/h.
- It features the one of a kind “Double-Clutch Technology” which helps to change gear in a staggering 150milli-seconds.
- This fine masterpiece is the result of the hard work and un-matched craftsmanship of only 8 specialist technicians.
- The amount of oxygen consumed per minute by the raging 1001 horses in Veyron is enough for the driver to breathe for 4 days.
- At the top speed, it runs out of fuel in 8 minutes as it consumes 40.4L/100Km at this speed. While in city it can do 100Km in almost 24L.
- And most astoundingly, the 8.0L power house of Veyron actually produces 3000hp where 1/3rd of its power is in the form of heat.
- For cooling this splendid piece of engineering, it takes 10 radiators.
Bugatti Veyron has initiated a new era of automobile history and has gained a repute no car has ever gained even in the eyes of the designer of McLaren F1, Gordon Murray who was a harsh critic of this car. He called it a “huge achievement”.
Moreover, this fine machine has been ranked to be the “car of the decade” by a very famous British auto show, “Top Gear”.
It is a real marvel in the automobile history which has pushed the automotive engineering to the very edge of its limits. All it took to bring its rubber to the road is what we call the fusion of aerospace and automotive engineering….!